Just wanted to let you in on a little personal project I’ve been working on. In an effort to stop second-guessing myself, back in June, I decided to make a comic with my own art. All the poking and prodding from my daughter, husband, extended family, and friends helped with that. The goal is to finish a comic by July 31st. A task that I quickly found daunting.
I’m still pushing through till the end and will post up all of the work as I go.
The basic information for Issue One can be found below. In order to create a full story, I did outline the whole thing. But, for this project, I figure it would be best to break it into parts.
Summoned Mate Checklist
- Full Story Outline
- Character Designs
- Setting Designs
- Comic Pencils
- Comic Inks
- Convention Debut!
- Define the society – what world do my characters live in?
- Introduce Gabby Tessier and Derulo.
- Goals that conflict with each other
- Needs hinted (to be filled in with backstory)
- Meeting full of angst/conflict
- No Way #1 – not feeling each other
- Adhesion – forced together
- Gabby Tessier – Witch
- Derulo – Impundulu (Vampiric bird)
- Selena Tessier – Witch
- Tate Hodges
- Cloaked Faith of the Fortune cult members
- Outside Halloween party – plantation
- Tupelo trees
- Bald Cypress tree w/moss
- Giza – darkness
Since I’m such a stickler for order (at least at the beginning of my projects) I like to figure out how many pages I need to portray each part of the story.
Act Breakdown for 40 pages:
- 25% for Act 1 = 10 pages
- 65% for Act 2 = 26 pages
- 10% for Act 3 = 04 pages
If you want to be surprised about the story happenings, please stop reading. I wanted to be open about the writing process and posted the full outline. As for the final draft, I may wait for the completion of the comic before posting.
Act I (10 pages)
- Meet Gabby and Selena entering a Halloween party – Invited by Selena’s crush.
- Talk of Gabby’s use of a suppressant while Selena has been training to control her life-like cat ears and tail.
- Meet Tate (Selena’s crush) – Gabby voices her apprehension of his company’s chosen party location.
- Party in full swing. Everyone is offered a signature drink. Gabby doesn’t care for it because of the mixed taste from suppressant.
- Gabby holds a drunken Selena up, this was happening too fast. People are dropping around them.
- Gabby tries to call for help – no signal. Tate takes pleasure in knocking Gabby out.
Act II (26 pages)
- Darkness – breathing and screams.
- Gabby wakes up to chanting and gurgled screams. People (chained by a magic circle) are being drained.
- Selena and Gabby are dragged into the circle.
- Gabby waits for an opportunity and fights them off while trying to wake Selena.
- It looks like Gabby has the upper hand, then she is shot.
- Her blood reacts with the vampire circle and the area is covered in darkness.
- Derulo forms out of the molten ground as her blood mixes with the giza. Offers to help her if she bonds with him, denied.
- Derulo gets caught by chains and the cult members begin to feed on him. His blood is really powerful and they are getting drunk on it.
- Gabby agrees to their bond and Deurlo breaks free of the chains.
- Traps the cult members in a dome of wind. Tells them the one to decide their fate is the witch he is bound to.
- Gabby is pulled into a standing position by a bed of wind.
- They plead with Gabby, Samual included – just doing their jobs – forced to do the rituals – forgive us.
- Gabby relays her hate for automatic black forgiveness and sentences them to death.
- Lightning strikes some and it jumps to the others, killing them all.
Act III (4 pages)
- The wind dome falls and Derulo holds Gabby in his arms. They sink into the ground.
- Cult members are running towards their area.
- Gabby moans about Selena and the others.
- Derulo tells her to heal first as the giza covers her body.
That was a long one. Lots of planning down. Just have to put it in action. How do you prepare for your comic projects?